The dog of the week feature took a little break while we posted stories about our dogs, but it’s back and ready to share great dogs with you that need homes of their very own. This week the featured dog is Izzy.
Say hello to Izzy! Izzy is a Carolina Dog, also known as an American Dingo. She came into our care as a stray, so her history remains a mystery. She is estimated to be about three years old. She is very unique and requires a home that is knowledgeable about her breed. Izzy appears to be very interested in cats, so would not be a good match if cats are in the home.
When Izzy is on a leash she pulls some, but generally does very well. She would learn quickly and would thrive from lots of attention.
Izzy has been spayed and is current on her shots. If you can find a place in your home for Izzy please fill out an application HERE.
Well, 2013 has officially come to an end. And we couldn’t have done all of the amazing things we’ve done this year without your help. Everyone from our board members and foster leads to foster homes and volunteers to all of our amazing donors. Each and everyone of you has helped to make this a record year. Here’s a few stats and highlights from the year to close things out.
- We had a record adoption year this year with 256 adoptions!
- This year we introduced the foster lead concept. This has helped us to grow our foster home base to nearly 70 homes with 30-40 active at any given time. (A big thank you to our new volunteers who jumped on board when Little Paws shut down and helped us with this huge task.)
- With many foster homes taking more than one animal at a time and shelter space in Shellsburg as well as at Cedar Run we currently have approximately 70 dogs and cats in our care right now.
- Cedar Run Boarding has opened up a training course for foster homes to help educate our fosters and work with the dogs in our care to help them to be ready for their new homes.
- Last Hope volunteers attended an auction in the spring and rescued (purchased) 30 dogs from life in a puppy mill. Many of these 30 dogs have found their forever homes thanks to the care and training provided by the fosters who opened up their homes to these dogs.
- We sent 2 puppies to New York City this year to take part in the filming of an Animal Planet classic. Keep watching for more information and get ready for a party!
- We held our first ever Saving Lives and S’mores open house at the shelter. It was a great success with donations and Silent Auction proceeds helping to reduce veterinary debt accumulated over the summer.
- Our Retire the Vet Debt campaign raised over $12,000 in just over a month.
- The story of one of our own won a $5,000 Holiday Wish’s Grant from PetCo.
Again, I would like to say Thank You to every one who helped make this year possible! The over 300 animals we saved this year would also like to say Thank You!
We’re going to make 2014 an even better year! After all, this year will be our 10 year anniversary! If you want to get involved and help make things happen let us know! If you have ideas on how to save more lives, we want to hear them! Email Sonia at email@example.com and tell her you want to help! I can tell you from personal experience, being involved in an organization like this is very rewarding!