Halloween is a fun time for kids and adults alike. But please keep your four-legged family members in mind during this holiday. It is a night full of a lot of commotion and this can be disturbing to pets. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Keep Halloween candy out of reach. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is toxic for pets.
- Candles in pumpkins can be a fire hazard with four-legged friends running around.
- The excess activity (the doorbell ringing, people coming in and out, parties) can all cause anxiety for pets. Make sure your pet has a comfortable place to rest away from all the commotion.
- Make sure your pet is equipped with an ID tag and/or a microchip. With all of the commotion and trick-or-treaters, it’s best to be prepared if your pet does manage to slip out the door.
- Keep black cats inside.
- If you dress up your pet in a costume, make sure it doesn’t constrict breathing or movement. It’s also important to ensure the costume doesn’t contain any small parts that can be choked on.
Have fun this Halloween, but make sure you’re protecting your pets from these dangers. It will mean more fun for everyone!