Adopting a cat is not only a great way to support Last Hope Animal Rescue, it’s also an excellent way to bring some cuddly into your life. Here are the top ten reasons why adopting a cat is the right move:
10. They’re Independent – cats are naturally independent creatures that require little supervision. This makes them the perfect pet for workaholics, city dwellers, people living in apartments, and the just generally mellow. While you can feel free to walk your cat, it isn’t necessary to their lifestyle.
9. They’re Cuddly – they may be able to take care of themselves, but cats still love a good cuddle. And unlike those 100-pound pooches that think they belong on your lap, a cat actually fits there quite nicely. Plus, they are warm and fuzzy, so purr-fectly suited for snuggling.
8. They Bathe Themselves – and it’s a good thing, too. Have you ever tried to get a cat into water? Not fun if you prefer your skin scratch-free. So they bathe themselves and leave you with one less chore – it’s a win-win situation for all involved.
7. You Won’t Need to Housebreak Them – in addition to bathing themselves, cats come into your life pretty much potty trained. You set up a litter box and, with very little instruction, they figure out how to use it almost naturally. Adopting a cat means never having to worry about getting home late and realizing you still need to go out into the cold, cold darkness.
6. They’re Avid Hunters – not a big fan of bugs? Adopt a cat! Cats are skilled hunters that will help keep down the bug population in your home. Not to mention those pesky red laser pointers!
5. They’re Great Entertainers – cats are more than capable of entertaining themselves with toys, boxes, drawers, and the like. Give a cat a window and a window sill to perch on and she’ll spend hours watching the goings-on in the great outdoors as she plots taking over the world and generally enjoys making the peons on the other side jealous of her glorious coat and pretty whiskers.
4. Perfect Couch Potato Companion – think about it. Cats spend about 15 hours a day sleeping. This means they will never make you feel guilty when you laze about on the couch eating a tub of ice cream and watching TV all day. In fact, a cat would love to just veg out with you. It’s a built in excuse to be lazy.
3. You’re Saving a Life – according to the Humane Society of the United States, somewhere between six and eight million cats and dogs are taken in by shelters each year in the United States, and three to four million of those cats and dogs are eventually euthanized (Last Hope does not euthanize!). By adopting a cat today, you could be single-handedly saving a life. That’s a pretty big deal.
2. They’re Saving Your Life – as if saving a life wasn’t a good enough reason to adopt a cat, keep in mind that your potential new cat could save your life, too. Having a pet has been attributed to significantly lowering blood pressure, as well as lowering the risk of heart disease. Plus, the mere act of stroking a cat for a few minutes has been shown to release “feel good” endorphins in the brain.
1. They’re Awesome – you can’t argue with the facts. A cat is pretty much the most popular pet in the world (there are statistically more cats in U.S. households than dogs). They’re adorable, loving, easy companions that make you super happy (and healthy). So what are you waiting for?
And now you can adopt a cat from Last Hope even more easily! From July 9th through July 17th* you can adopt a cat for $9 and a kitten for $19. What a bargain for such a great pet! *Your adoption application must be received by July 17th. If you’re interested in adopting a cat or kitten, please contact Crystal at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete an adoption application HERE.